Keto Cauliflower Buffalo Chicken Bake Recipe
Craving gameday flavors? This Keto cauliflower buffalo chicken bake brings the tailgating flavor and it’s quick and easy enough to make any day of the week. Chicken is the perfect weeknight protein and a zesty buffalo sauce keeps this meal interesting. No boring casseroles tonight!
The Story of Buffalo Wings (And Their Sauce)
It’s hard to imagine a gameday without buffalo wings but they were actually invented less than 50 years ago! At the time, chicken wings were so unpopular that they were pretty much only used to make stock.
There are two competing accounts of how buffalo wings came to be but it is agreed that they were invented at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York by the owner, Teressa Bellissimo. Now depending on which version of the story you subscribe to, Teressa invented buffalo wings to use up a mistaken delivery of wings or as a cheap appetizer to give out to high-spending customers .
Regardless of the reason for creation, it is agreed that she fried the wings without breading and that she covered them in a hot sauce-based sauce. This sauce has transcended its origins, going on to flavor all sorts of foods, including chips, chicken fingers and in this case, a casserole.
The last thing you want to do on a weeknight is spend hours preparing dinner. This low-carb buffalo chicken bake already comes together quickly but here are a few tips to speed up the process even more.
- Roast a whole chicken on the weekend and you’ll have pre-cooked chicken to dress up for lunch and dinner all week long.
- If roasting a whole chicken isn’t for you, you can still pre-cook the chicken. Check out this easy method of making shredded chicken in the crockpot. You can also substitute the chicken stock in that recipe for bone broth.
- Line your casserole dish with two layers of tin foil for easy clean up.
- You can make the whole casserole ahead of time if you want. Simply make casserole as directed, pour into foil dish and allow to cool fully. Then cover tightly and freeze up to 6 weeks before baking. Make sure to add extra time if cooking from frozen.
More Quick and Easy Keto Chicken Recipes
Have some plain chicken leftover or just craving something a little milder? Don’t worry, there is a low-carb chicken meal for every taste. Check out the suggestions below or look through all of our Keto chicken recipes.
- Keto Asian Chicken Wings – Can’t get enough gameday flavors? This Asian chicken wing recipe brings the savory flavor without all the carbs from heavy breading.
- Keto Chicken Korma – Love spices? This chicken korma is the recipe for you. It has a full and balanced spice flavor and it’s all served over fluffy cardamom cauliflower rice.
- Keto Lemon Chicken – Looking for something more classic? This lemon chicken recipe is naturally low-carb and the simplicity of the recipe really allows each ingredient to shine through.
A gameday inspired casserole that’ll knock your socks off.
- 3 chicken breasts (approx. 1.5 lb or 700 g), diced and sautéed in coconut oil (or 3 cups of cooked chicken meat)
- 1/2 cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 cup (240 ml) mayo
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) hot sauce (adjust if you don’t want it as spicy)
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Shred the cooked chicken and mix with the rest of the ingredients. (Cook the chicken first if you don’t have cooked chicken available.) Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into a small casserole dish (or 8-by-8 inch pan) and bake for 25-30.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 2 g
- Calories: 472
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 42 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 24 g