Keto Quick Asparagus Sauté Recipe
In our modern world, sometimes speed is the name of the game. But getting food fast doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice on nutrition and taste. This keto quick asparagus saute recipe takes just five minutes to prepare.
How to Pick a Great Bunch of Asparagus
You’re at the store, and asparagus is on sale. You want to pick some up, but which batch is best?
I feel your pain. Produce selection can be daunting, and it can be tempting to just grab whatever is closest and assume that asparagus is asparagus.
It doesn’t have to be rocket science. Here are some things to look for when you’re shopping for this keto asparagus recipe.
- You want them to be firm. If you were to bend the stalk, it should snap easily.
- That being said, you’re not looking for bamboo. The bottom of the stalk should show some moisture. If they seem woody, keep looking.
- The top of the spear should be tightly closed, with a dark green or purple hue. When they take on a yellow tinge, they’re getting past their prime.
- The tips should also be firm, not mushy. Too-soft tips are also an indication the veggie has seen better days.
- Like any produce, avoid asparagus that is wilted, discolored, or mottled.
- Contrary to popular belief, the thickness of the stalks has nothing to do with quality. You may have a preference according to how you’re planning on using the asparagus. I like thicker stalks for sautéing, but thinner stalks are nice to chop up for salad.
Fairly uncommon in America, asparagus can sometimes be found in white or purple.
The white asparagus is the same variety as the green but is grown in the dark. They’re a bit milder in taste, and more expensive.
Purple asparagus is a different variety. It has less fiber and more sugar, so it tastes sweeter. The coloring comes from anthocyanins, which are potent antioxidants.
More Quick Keto Meals
Want some more speedy recipes for your keto diet? I’ve got a list lined up and ready for you here.
- 16 asparagus spears, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil, to cook with
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add olive oil to a frying pan on high heat.
- Add in the chopped asparagus and sauté for 5 minutes on high heat.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 4 g
- Calories: 203
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 21 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 0 g