Keto Onion and Chives Cashew Cheese Dip
What can you do if you are craving something creamy, savory, and utterly delicious but you don’t want to fall out of ketosis? Make this Keto onion and chives cashew cheese dip of course! This dip is a Keto-friendly, dairy-free take on a classic onion dip and it’s packed with chive and onion flavor. Creamy cashew cheese flavored with nutritional yeast forms the perfect base for a sharp and herby bite that’s perfect on just about anything! You’ll want to make a big batch of this dip for entertaining. It’s perfect for potlucks, picnics, and game day. Put a bowl of dip out and watch it disappear!
What is Nutritional Yeast and Why Do You Need It in your pantry?
Nutritional yeast is a product of a species of yeast called, S. cerevisiae. This is the same yeast that is used for baker’s yeast and brewer’s yeast but nutritional yeast was prepared very differently. To make it, the yeast is activated and allowed to grow for several days. The resulting product is then heated, dried and crumbled to make nutritional yeast.
Nutritional yeast is an excellent source of protein and contains all nine essential amino acids. It is also a good source of vitamin B and serval trace minerals including zinc and manganese .
It is popular among vegans and others who avoid dairy for its unique cheesy flavor and it can be used in dips, marinades, and sauces, or simply sprinkled over a dish for added flavor!
Dip Add-Ins for Endless Flavor Variation
Love onion dip? Want to get more from your basic recipe? Read on for suggested variations on this recipe that will give you a dip for every occasion. With only a few simple changes, you can take your dip all over the world or up to the next level. With the basic recipe as your canvas, you are limited only by your imagination, and your pantry!
- Tex-Mex Onion Dip – Add half a chopped chipotle or jalapeno pepper and replace the chives with chopped cilantro. Finish with a squeeze of lime juice.
- French Onion Dip – Caramelize onions and allow them to come to room temperature before mixing into the dip. Replace the chives with chopped tarragon, thyme, and parsley.
- Loaded Baked Potato Onion Dip – There is no potatoes in this dip, but the flavors are a dead ringer. Add a teaspoon of paprika with the onion powder and replace the chives with chopped scallions. Fry up a few slices of bacon, crumble and add to the dip to finish off!
Dip Dip Hooray: More Keto Friendly Dip Recipes
Like our chive and onion dip? There’s more where that came from.
Or check out more low-carb dips and condiments here !
This low-carb onion and chive dip is packed with flavor.
- 1 cup (4 oz or 120 g) raw cashews
- 1/4 cup (60ml) coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 1 teaspoon (3 g) garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons (16 g) nutritional yeast
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- Dash of salt
- Place the raw cashews into a bowl of room temperature water so that it covers the cashews, drape a paper towel or tea towel over the bowl to prevent dust settling, and soak overnight.
- Place the soaked cashews, 1/4 cup fresh water, salt, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, and coconut oil into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Stir in the finely chopped onions and chives. Enjoy with some Keto crackers
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 3 g
- Serving Size: 3 Tablespoons
- Calories: 97
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 2 g