Keto Beef Teriyaki Recipe with Sesame and Kale
This yummy keto beef teriyaki stir-fry is a snap to whip up. Make sure you toast the sesame seeds – it really dials up the flavor.
While this stir-fry is great on its own, you can also serve over cauliflower rice for a more traditional presentation.
Purchasing the Beef
When you’re shopping for stir-fry beef, it’s important to select the right meat for the job. You want a tender cut. I chose sirloin steaks, but you could also try flat iron, tenderloin, tri-tip or top loin steaks.
In a pinch, you could also make do with less tender cuts such as flank or round tip steaks.
Select a well-marbled piece of meat. That fat will reward you with good flavor.
Preparing the Beef
When you’re cutting the steak, strive for uniform pieces. If you’ve got a lot of variety in width, the thinner pieces will get overcooked and tough. If your butcher can do this step for you, that’s perfect.
I chose avocado oil for this stir-fry. Avocado oil is a great choice for high-heat cooking, as it has an uber high smoke point.
Depending on the size of your pan and how much beef you purchased, you may have to work in batches. Be sure to keep your wok or pan active, scooping and stirring, to facilitate even cooking.
Be careful not to overcook – stir-frying goes quickly, and your meat can go from perfect to overdone in just seconds.
Your stir-fry meat is perfectly prepared when it is slightly pink in the center and no longer pink on the outside. Hooray! Now enjoy it!
- 2 Tablespoons of gluten-free tamari sauce or coconut aminos (30 ml)
- 1 Tablespoon of applesauce (15 ml)
- 2 cloves of garlic (6 g), minced
- 1 Tablespoon of fresh ginger (4 g), minced
- 2 beef sirloin steaks (400 g) (pick a well marbled steak), sliced
- 1 Tablespoon of sesame seeds (14 g)
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil (5 ml)
- 2 Tablespoons of avocado oil (30 ml)
- 10 white button mushrooms (100 g), sliced
- 2 oz of curly kale (56 g)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Whisk the tamari sauce, applesauce, garlic and ginger together in a bowl. Add the sliced sirloin and leave to marinate while you prep the remaining ingredients.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a hot, dry pan until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large wok or frying pan and add the mushrooms, cooking until caramelised. Add the steak slices and the marinade and fry for 2-3 minutes, adding the kale towards the end, stirring into the mixture to gently wilt.
- Add in the sesame oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over cooked cauliflower rice if desired, and top with toasted sesame seeds.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 675
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 53 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 38 g