Spicy Keto Chicken Casserole Recipe
This keto chicken casserole recipe tastes so delicious that even your non-keto friends will be eager for seconds. Have them read through all the benefits of keto and they will surely have it a go.
It’s excellent proof that following a healthy diet that works for your body doesn’t mean you’re swearing off food that tastes good. These 27 delicious keto dinner casserole recipes will also give you some tasty ideas.
What is Casserole?
The definition of casserole depends on where you’re from. If you’re in the United States or continental Europe, you probably think of casserole as a mashup of cut up meat, chopped vegetables, starch (such as pasta, flour, or potato) and a cheese or crunchy topping.
If you’re in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, or Ireland, however, you’re probably envisioning more of a stew. There’s a little more variance in the contents, as “casserole” generally refers to the dish itself, rather than the ingredients.
How I Made it Keto
Casseroles in the U.S. often contain cream of mushroom soup. Unfortunately, cream-based soups generally contain flour and/or other ingredients not suitable for a keto diet.
Instead, I used mushrooms and coconut cream to keep some moisture in the dish. Flavorful bacon and spicy chili peppers come in to make things interesting. It might be a bit bland without them.
This spicy keto chicken casserole recipe is one of those dishes that you can be creative with. Depending on your taste, you can add or remove the chili peppers and also play with any keto-friendly veggies.
It’s also good for leftovers that you’re not quite sure what to do with. Here’s a list of recipes where you can use your leftovers.
- 2 chicken breasts (400 g), diced
- 2 heads of broccoli (900 g), broken into small florets
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 10 white button mushrooms, diced
- 12 slices of bacon, diced
- 2 chili peppers, de-seeded and diced (add more if you like it spicier)
- 2 cups of coconut cream (480 ml), to cover the dish
- 4 Tablespoons of coconut oil (60 ml), to cook chicken in
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Add the coconut oil to a frying pan and cook the diced bacon until it starts to get crispy. Then add the diced chicken breast and cook until browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add everything to a large baking pan and bake uncovered for 1 hour. Place the broccoli on the bottom of the pan to avoid them getting burned.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 513
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 44 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 20 g