- 2 teaspoons of olive oil (10 ml)
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano (2 g)
- 1 Tablespoon of lime juice (15 ml)
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder (2 g)
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder (2 g)
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika (2 g)
- 1 medium onion (110 g), sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic (9 g), sliced
- 2.5 lbs of pork shoulder (1125 g), boned and rolled
- 2.5 cups of chicken broth (600 ml)
- 4 Tablespoons of olive oil (60 ml), to crisp up before serving
- 12 large lettuce leaves, to wrap
- Lime wedges, to serve with
- 1/4 cup (4 g) flat leaf parsley, chopped for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 430°F / 220°C.
- Make a paste by combining the olive oil, dried oregano, lime juice, ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika and salt and pepper. Rub the paste all over the pork shoulder.
- Spread the sliced onions and garlic out in a deep roasting dish and place the pork shoulder on top.
- Pour the chicken stock into the dish and place in the oven for 10 minutes, before reducing the temperature to 320°F / 160°C.
- Cook for 5 hours, checking in on the pork occasionally, and carefully turning over using tongs, spooning over the liquid and rendered fat for moisture and flavor.
- (The aim is to get most of the liquid to evaporate but if after 3 or 4 hours, you notice it is evaporating too quickly causing the onions to blacken and burn, simply cover the dish with foil and continue cooking.)
- Once done, remove from the oven and remove and discard the butcher’s string.
- Rest for 20 minutes, then shred the pork using two forks – the caramelized onions and garlic and any remaining juices should be mixed in with the shredded pork.
- To crisp up the meat before serving, add the olive oil to a hot pan and in batches, fry the shredded meat for 3-4 minutes until it starts to crisp up a bit more.
- Season with salt and squeeze lime juice generously over the mixture.
- Serve the shredded pork with large lettuce leaves and flat leaf parsley and allow everyone to make their own keto wraps.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 2 g
- Calories: 464
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 35 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 33 g