- 2 duck breasts (770 g), with the skin
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil (30 ml), to cook with
- 1/2 medium onion (55 g), sliced
- Juice from 1/2 small orange (50 g)
- Zest from small orange (strips tied in a muslin parcel)
- 3 pcs. star anise (tied in the same above-mentioned muslin parcel)
- 1 teaspoon of arrowroot flour (2 g), for thickening sauce
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth (120 ml)
- Pinch of stevia
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh parsley (2 g), finely chopped for garnish
- Additional grated orange zest for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 300°F / 150°C.
- Using a very sharp knife, score the duck breast skin at a 45 degree angle and rub salt and pepper all over the duck breast, including into the scored skin.
- Heat up a frying pan or skillet to high heat and place the duck breasts skin-side down into the pan.
- Sear the duck breasts until the skin has caramelised and crisped, about 5 minutes. Then using tongs, turn the breasts over and cook the meat side for a few minutes until browned.
- Remove the duck breasts and place on a greased roasting tray. Place in the oven skin-side up to cook a little further while you finish the rest of the dish (approx. 10-15 minutes).
- Keep the rendered duck fat in the pan and add in the olive oil, and cook the diced onions until they’re caramelized and golden.
- Add the orange juice to deglaze as well as the muslin parcel containing the strips of orange zest and star anise.
- Cook for a minute or two, then remove from the heat and strain the sauce through a fine mesh sieve, discarding the onions – but not the muslin.
- Return the strained sauce to the heat and open the muslin parcel of zest strips and star anise and add into the sauce. Add a pinch of Stevia if you feel it is not sweet enough. Whisk the arrowroot into the chicken stock in a small jug, then pour into the pan.
- Cook the sauce gently for 1-2 minutes until it has sufficiently thickened.
- Serve the duck with the sauce and garnish with the chopped parsley and additional orange zest.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 5 g
- Calories: 963
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 72 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 66 g