For the meatballs:
- 12 oz (340 g) ground beef (or ground turkey or ground chicken or ground lamb)
- 2 Tablespoons (20 g) garlic powder
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 teaspoons (10 g) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) black pepper [omit for AIP]
- 4 Tablespoons (60 ml) coconut oil to cook with
For the sauce:
- 1/2 medium onion, finely sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, finely diced [use beets for AIP]
- 2 Tablespoons (2 g) cilantro, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced or finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) coconut oil (if needed)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) coconut cream (from the top of a refrigerated can of coconut milk)
- Salt and pepper to taste [omit pepper for AIP]
For the fried cabbage:
- Combine all of the ingredients for the meatballs and shape them into 1-inch balls.
- Add the 4 Tablespoons of coconut oil to a very deep pan/pot on high heat and liberally brown the meatballs on all sides. Place on a plate to rest.
- In the very same pot, melt the 2 Tablespoons coconut oil (if additional oil is needed), add the onions and fry until slightly browned. Add in all the other sauce ingredients except for the coconut cream.
- Cook for 5 minutes and then add the cream. Cook until the cream is bubbling and return the meatballs to the sauce. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- When meatballs are 5 minutes away from being done, melt 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil in a large hot pan, throw in the cabbage and fry until the cabbage has softened. Season to your preferred taste.
- Serve the fried cabbage alongside the meatballs in sauce.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 9 g
- Calories: 740
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 61 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 39 g