Keto Asian Ground Beef Lettuce Wraps Recipe
Wow! Nothing beats keto meals that taste like the “real thing.” This keto Asian ground beef lettuce wraps recipe has all the flavor you want with none of the sacrifices.
Delicious, No Sacrifices Necessary Lettuce Wraps
Fortunately, lettuce wraps are pretty keto in general. You’ve already done most of the heavy lifting by using lettuce instead of a carb-filled tortilla or wrap.
Ground beef is a perfectly fine way to get your protein, so no changes there. I do suggest cooking the beef and other ingredients in avocado oil, which may be a change from a lot of recipes.
It’s a great oil to use for sautéing and has a high smoke point.
One item I left out that appears in many Asian lettuce wrap recipes is hoisin sauce. While it tastes good, it gets its salty-sweet mashup from sugar and grains. It can be quite a high-carb food, which I’m obviously looking to avoid.
While hoisin isn’t a great option, it is possible to create the same benefits of this sauce without the carbs.
I used tamari sauce instead of soy sauce (make sure your tamari is gluten free) but there’s another important distinction. I added ¼ cup of tamari, while most recipes only use a tablespoon of soy.
This additional soy flavor, coupled with some slight sweetness from the apple cider vinegar, helps to step in for hoisin.
As is typical for Asian lettuce wraps, I also suggest using garlic, onion, sesame oil, and powdered ginger.
That’s one of the great things about this recipe – it’s fairly keto on its own, you just have to make some tiny adjustments to keep the carbs in check.
Protein and Weight Loss
A serving of these lettuce wraps offers 20 grams of protein. Not too shabby.
You may be wondering, like many people, if it’s better to eat a high protein diet, or a low carb diet to keep weight off.
The answer may surprise you.
A recent study found that carbs don’t matter as much as protein. People on the high protein diet did a lot better with keeping weight off than those eating lesser amounts of protein, regardless of carb intake.
If you adopted a keto diet to lose weight, and are concerned about keeping it off, it is important to incorporate meals with protein. You can find more delicious, protein-packed keto ground beef recipes here.
These delicious wraps are versatile and yummy in any situation.
- 12–16 leaves of lettuce (iceberg, romaine, or butter lettuce)
- 1 lb (450 g) ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) avocado oil, to cook with
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) tamari sauce
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) sesame oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons (4 g) ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons (9 g) sesame seeds
- Rinse the lettuce leaves and pat dry.
- Heat up a large skillet or frying pan and add in the avocado oil. Sauté the onions and ground beef on high heat until they’re browned and cooked.
- Add in the tamari sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger powder and cook until the sauce has evaporated.
- Place the lettuce leaves on plates and add in the mixture into the middle of each leaf. Sprinkle a bit of sesame seeds on top.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 4 g
- Calories: 420
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 34 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 20 g