The classic Greek lemon chicken soup, a zesty, silky broth full of tender chicken and cauliflower “rice.”
- Olive oil, for cooking (optional)
- 1 medium onion (110 g), chopped
- 1 stalk of celery (20 g), chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 8 cups (2 L) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon (1 g) dried oregano
- 1 lb (450 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs (defrosted, if frozen)
- 1 cup (110 g) cauliflower “rice”
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) lemon juice
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh dill, for garnish
- Lemon slices, for garnish
- If desired, add a drizzle of olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic to the slow cooker or skillet and saute for 3 minutes. Add the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken broth and dried oregano to the slow cooker and stir well to combine. Place the chicken thighs in the slow cooker and submerge in the broth.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 ½ hours or low for 7 hours.
- Add the cauliflower “rice” to the slow cooker and continue to cook for an additional ½ hour on high or 1 hour on low.
- After the cook time is over, turn off the slow cooker. Remove the chicken thighs from the slow cooker and use two forks to shred into bite-size pieces. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the eggs and lemon juice. While continuously whisking, slowly add 2 ladles of the hot broth to the egg mixture until completely combined.
- While continuously stirring, slowly pour the egg mixture into the slow cooker and continue to stir for about a minute until the soup is slightly thickened and creamy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with fresh dill and lemon slices before serving.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs per serving: 5 g
- Calories: 261
- Sugar: 3 g
- Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 17 g