- Olive oil, for cooking (optional)
- 1 medium onion (4 oz or 110 g), thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tablespoon (5 g) fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 Tablespoon (7 g) garam masala
- 1 Tablespoon (6 g) turmeric
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 cup (240 ml) tomato sauce
- 1 (13.5 oz or 398 ml) can of unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup (240 ml) chicken broth
- 1 lb (450 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs (defrosted, if frozen)
- 3 cups (90 g) fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons (2 g) chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- If desired, add a drizzle of olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and fresh ginger to the slow cooker or skillet and saute for 3 minutes. Add the garam masala, turmeric, cumin, and optional chili powder to the skillet and saute for an additional 2 minutes. Add the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the tomato sauce, coconut milk, and chicken broth to the slow cooker and stir well to combine. Place the chicken thighs in the slow cooker and cover with the sauce.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken thighs from the slow cooker and shred with two forks into bite-size pieces. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker. Add the fresh spinach and continue to cook for an additional 20 minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- If needed, remove the lid and set the slow cooker to high and allow the sauce to boil until reduced to your liking. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve the saag by itself or over Keto Cauliflower White “Rice” and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs per serving: 7 g
- Serving Size: ¼ recipe
- Calories: 314
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 21 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 22 g