- 1 cup (240 ml) tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) tomato paste
- 1/2 medium white onion (2 oz or 55 g), roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) chipotle paste (or 1 small chipotle pepper, seeds removed) (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) almond butter
- 2 Tablespoons (12 g) cacao powder
- 2 Tablespoons (12 g) chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) cinnamon powder
- 3 skinless chicken breasts (1.3 lb or 600 g) (defrosted if frozen)
- 1 cup (240 ml) chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons (2 g) chopped fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- 2 teaspoons (9 g) sesame seeds (for garnish)
- 1 lime, cut in to wedges (for garnish)
- Place the tomato sauce, tomato paste, onion, garlic, chipotle paste, almond butter, cacao powder, chili powder, paprika, cumin, and cinnamon in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. (Add a splash of water to help blending, if needed.)
- Place the chicken breasts and chicken broth in the slow cooker. Pour over the blended sauce and stir well to combine.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 7 to 8.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and shred with two forks. (If using bone-in chicken, remove and discard the bone.) Ladle out about half of the sauce and set aside for serving.
- Return the shredded chicken to the remaining sauce in the slow cooker and mix well to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve the chicken mole with the reserved sauce and garnish with the optional fresh cilantro, sesame seeds and a squeeze of lime juice, if desired.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs per serving: 6 g
- Serving Size: ¼ recipe
- Calories: 402
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 21 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 39 g