For the meatballs –
- 1 lb (450 g) ground beef
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 cups (480 ml) beef broth
For the pesto –
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil, plus more if necessary
- 1.5 cups (50 g) basil leaves
- 2 Tablespoons of pine nuts (16 g) (or walnuts)
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lemon zest and juice
- Dash of salt and pepper
For the “spaghetti” –
- 2 zucchinis, spiralized or use a peeler to create long strands.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Make the pesto by blending all the pesto ingredients together. Set aside 1/2 to serve with.
- Combine the ground beef and the other half of the basil pesto and form small balls 1oz / 30g in size.
- Heat the olive oil and fry the meatballs (in batches) until browned all over. Place into the slow cooker along with the beef broth.
- Cover and cook for 2 hours, spooning the broth over the meatballs every now and then.
- Toss the zucchini noodles with the rest of the pesto.
- Serve with meatballs on top. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 2 g
- Calories: 522
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 48 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 20 g