A Keto take on this French classic.
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil
- 8 chicken drumsticks (1000 g), with skin on
- 3 1/2 slices (100 g) of bacon, chopped
- 10–12 baby onions (660 g), peeled and left whole
- 18 white button mushrooms (180 g), halved
- 3 garlic cloves (9 g), peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Brandy (optional)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) of dry red wine
- 1 Tablespoon (17 g) of tomato paste
- 1 cup (240 ml) of chicken stock
- fresh thyme (1 g), leaves picked
- 1 sprig rosemary (1 g)
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick pan and fry the chicken drumsticks until the skins are golden and crispy. Remove the chicken using tongs and set aside.
- Add the bacon to the same pan and fry until crispy. Remove using a slotted spoon and set aside – allowing all the rendered fat to remain in the pan.
- Add the onions and mushrooms to the pan and cook in the rendered fat until caramelized. Add the garlic towards the end of frying the onions and cook for one minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine and optional Brandy. Cook until there is no moisture left in the pan.
- Whisk the tomato paste into the chicken broth, then pour into the pan. Add the thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf to the pan.
- As this point, return the bacon and chicken drumsticks to the pan. Bring the mixture to a low simmer, then cover the pan with a well-fitting lid. Cook for 30-35 minutes on the stove to ensure the chicken cooks through. Use (clean) tongs to carefully remove the chicken pieces from the pan and set aside to keep warm.
- Remove the lid and heat the sauce over moderate-high heat until it reduces by two-thirds.
- Return the chicken to the pan, covering with the sauce. Serve warm with your favorite side.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 7 g
- Calories: 235
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 17 g