- 3 lb (1.4 kg) beef chuck roast, cut into large chunks
- 1 (4 oz or 113 g) can of chopped green chilies (mild or hot)
- 1/2 medium onion (1 oz or 55 g), peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) beef broth or bone broth
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon (12 g) cumin powder
- 1 Tablespoon (3 g) dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To serve: Large lettuce leaves, salsa, guacamole (optional)
- Place all the ingredients into the slow cooker. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours and low for 8 to 10 hours until the beef is very tender.
- Remove bay leaves from the slow cooker and discard. Use 2 forks to shred the beef in the slow cooker and let rest for about 15 minutes to absorb the cooking liquids. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve the barbacoa by itself or in lettuce wraps and topped with salsa or guacamole.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs per serving: 1 g
- Calories: 452
- Sugar: 0 g
- Fat: 36 g
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 29 g