Keto Spaghetti Squash Bolognese Recipe [Paleo, Low Carb]
This yummy Paleo and Ketogenic-friendly spaghetti squash bolognese recipe is easy to cook and makes a great dinner for the whole family. It’s gluten-free and uses spaghetti squash instead of regular wheat spaghetti for the “pasta.” (For other Paleo pasta options, check out this post, 9 Types of Paleo Pasta.)
You can also change the meat in this recipe for ground turkey or chicken if you prefer (although those meats are typically lower in fat which might not be desirable if you’re on a high fat ketogenic diet).
Make sure to add in the freshly minced garlic and diced basil leaves as they really give the dish a ton of flavor. And adding in those ingredients toward the end of the recipe makes those flavors stay in the dish better.
The instructions below tell you how to cook your spaghetti squash in the microwave (full instructions with step-by-step photos here). But if you’d prefer to cook the spaghetti squash in the oven, then follow this recipe here for Coconut Oil Baked Spaghetti Squash.
Keto Spaghetti Squash Bolognese Recipe
Pinterest Image for Keto Spaghetti Squash Bolognese Recipe [Low Carb]
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 lb (908 g) ground or minced beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 14.5 oz (410 g) can of diced tomato
- 1 cup (40 g) fresh basil, finely chopped
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- Coconut oil to cook with
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil into a large pot and saute the diced onion in the oil. Add the ground beef to the pot once the onions turn translucent.
- Once the meat is browned, add the diced tomatoes and simmer with the lid on for 30 minutes (simmer for 1 hour if you have time). Stir regularly to make sure it’s not sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Meanwhile, chop a spaghetti squash in half, remove the seeds, smother the insides with a thin layer of coconut oil (you can use your hands to do this), cover with a paper towel to avoid splattering, and microwave each spaghetti squash half for 6-7 minutes on high power. (Alternatively you can bake the coconut oil covered spaghetti squash halves in the oven at 375 F (190 C) for 45 minutes.)
- Use a fork to scratch out the spaghetti squash strands and divide them between 4 plates.
- Add the basil, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste to the meat sauce, cook for 5 more minutes, and spoon on top of the spaghetti squash.
- Calories: 450
- Sugar: 6
- Fat: 30
- Carbohydrates: 13
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 45