Rich, creamy soup with the smoky flavors of sausage and bacon and lots of nutritious kale. And it’s dairy-free and keto-friendly as well!
- 4 slices of bacon (4 oz or 112 g), diced
- 1 pound (450 g) mild or spicy ground Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion (4 oz or 110 g), thinly sliced
- 6 cups (1.4 L) chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon (1 g) red pepper flakes (or to taste, optional)
- 1 cup (240 ml) coconut cream (from the tops of 2 refrigerated cans of unsweetened coconut milk)
- 4 cups (270 g) shredded kale, stems removed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the bacon in a frying pan over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove the cooked bacon with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add the Italian sausage and onion to the same skillet with the remaining bacon fat and cook until browned, using a wooden spoon to break into smaller pieces.
- Place the cooked bacon, browned Italian sausage, onion, chicken or vegetable broth, and garlic into the slow cooker. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Add the coconut cream, chopped kale, and optional red pepper flakes to the slow cooker and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes until the kale is wilted and the soup is slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs per serving: 6 g
- Serving Size: ¼ recipe
- Calories: 675
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 57 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 16 g