Home » Keto Recipes » Keto Ground Beef Recipes » Keto Spicy Mexican Meat Pie Recipe
Keto Spicy Mexican Meat Pie Recipe
Go south of the border with this keto spicy Mexican meat pie recipe. It’s a fun change from tacos or burritos for Mexican food night without all the carbs.
What is Mexican Meat Pie?
Well, this is one dish that delivers what it promises. No smoke and mirrors here. Traditionally made Mexican meat pie is a zippy mix of meat (typically ground beef) and spices baked into a hearty crust.
I’ve seen it made in a large pie tin as well as in individual pie pockets. Sometimes they will contain beans as well as meat.
How I Made This Recipe Keto
You can imagine the carbs that might be in any sort of pie, and a meat pie would be no different. Sure, there is actually protein in a meat pie, which isn’t the case in your average dessert pie, but pie crust is definitely something to stay away from on a ketogenic diet.
Fortunately, there is a way to make meat pie work in a low-carb context. I made this keto version without crust. While I know that will sting for some of you, it’s really important to avoid the flour in crust.
Instead, I add eggs as a way to keep this meat pie together. It provides more protein and fat to the mix and gives the dish a nice mellow base to add some heat to.
You can of course customize the spiciness according to your personal preference. Add chili powder, chili peppers, or hot sauce to turn up the temperature if you so choose.
Even More Mexican Food for Keto
I love Mexican food, and I know I’m not alone. I’m constantly searching for new recipes and creating my own to fill the void.
Here are some additional Mexican inspired dishes you can make to satisfy your desire to spice up your keto cooking.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) coconut oil, to cook with
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 lb or 225 g ground beef
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 2 chili peppers, diced
- 2 Tablespoons (12 g) cumin powder
- 1 Tablespoon (6 g) paprika
- 2 teaspoons (4 g) of chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) hot sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 cup (4 g) fresh cilantro, finely diced
- 8 eggs, whisked
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Add the coconut oil to a large frying pan and sauté the onion, bell peppers, ground beef, tomatoes, and chili peppers until the beef is browned. Add in the spices, hot sauce and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix with the whisked eggs and pour into a 9-inch by 9-inch (23-cm by 23-cm) square baking dish.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until the eggs are soft but set.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 6 g
- Calories: 428
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 34 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 23 g