Home » Keto Recipes » Ketogenic Crockpot and Slow Cooker Recipes » Keto Slow Cooker Rosemary Lamb Meatballs Recipe
Keto Slow Cooker Rosemary Lamb Meatballs Recipe
This delicious keto slow cooker rosemary lamb meatballs recipe features a subtle hint of rosemary and so much meaty flavor, you won’t be able to resist.
For more simple crock pot recipes, take a look at our list of over 100 keto-friendly ideas!
History of Lamb Dishes
While lamb is not a staple in the U.S. it is much more common in other parts of the world. People in Africa, Australia, Greece, Turkey, New Zealand, and countries throughout the Middle East are much more likely to put lamb on the table.
The consumption of lamb is nothing new. Sheep were domesticated more than 10,000 years ago. Early people relied on them not only for food but for wool as well.
The Romans brought sheep to Great Britain more than 2,000 years ago, and lamb continues to be a popular source of protein there.
While it hasn’t quite caught on to a large extent in the U.S., this dish will quickly make lamb one of your must-have meats.
Making Keto Meatballs
Besides the obvious change from ground beef to ground lamb, this keto slow cooker rosemary lamb meatballs recipe had to ditch some of the typical meatball ingredients to keep it keto.
For starters, there are no bread crumbs, which cause an obvious carb problem. Instead, I used white mushrooms to add some body without spiking blood sugar.
Diced tomatoes and beef broth provide flavor and add much-needed liquid, taking the place of store-bought sauces that hide sugar and other sinister players.
Keto or not, these meatballs are fantastically filling – try them for yourself! Serve over cauliflower mash or cauliflower rice, which will soak up all the delicious juices.
If you want to create more “traditional” meatballs in your slow cooker, then try this recipe.
- 14oz of ground lamb (392 g)
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil (30 ml)
- 1 medium onion (110 g), sliced
- 12 white button mushrooms (120 g), quartered
- 1/2 can of diced tomatoes (200 g)
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 3/4 cup of beef broth (180 ml)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cauliflower mash, to serve
- Season lamb with salt and pepper and roll into balls.
- Add half the olive oil to a pan. Once heated, fry meatballs until brown. Set meatballs aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the same pan and cook the onion and mushrooms until soft and caramelized.
- Transfer the meatballs and vegetables to the crockpot. Pour in tomatoes, herbs, and broth. Cover and cook for 3 hours.
- Garnish with thyme leaves and serve on cauliflower mash.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 6 g
- Calories: 441
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 35 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 24 g