Keto Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
If you’ve been missing Mexican food on your keto diet, this keto slow cooker chicken enchilada soup recipe is a must! It’s rich, warm, and extremely satisfying.
For more keto Mexican recipe inspiration, why not take a look at this list?
Eating Mexican on Keto
It can be rough if you’re craving Mexican but fear some of the less-than-keto ingredients that seem to be instrumental to the dishes. There are the tortilla chips, the rice, the beans, flour-encased tacos and burritos… and it’s best to say nothing of the giant margaritas.
Believe it or not, you can eat your way around it. Sure, it won’t be exactly the same, but it’s your best bet for staying in ketosis and getting your Mexican fix.
This keto slow cooker chicken enchilada soup recipe is the perfect example. While a few modifications are needed, this soup is so good you won’t miss a thing.
Many cooks call for canned enchilada sauce for soup, but there’s no need for that. Canned or jarred sauce is likely to contain canola oil and unnecessary chemicals. Instead, I’ve covered that flavor profile with diced tomatoes, olive oil, cumin, and garlic.
Next, I had to think about corn, beans, and tortilla chips, which often find their way in or on top of Mexican-style soup. I had to take creative license here, because truth be told there aren’t close equivalents for those particular enchilada soup accessories.
Instead, I suggest dressing this soup with sliced tomato, avocado, cilantro, red chili, and onions. Obviously you can edit that list to suit your tastes and really have some fun making your Mexican soup.
If you’re not on your keto journey and this recipe is making you crave chicken enchiladas, then you’ll be happy to check out this more traditional recipe here.
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil (10 ml)
- 1 red onion (110 g), peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of cumin powder (4 g)
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (2 g)
- 2 cloves of garlic (6 g), peeled and finely chopped
- 4 chicken breasts (800 g), skinless and deboned
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano (2 g)
- 3 1/2 cups of chicken broth (840 ml)
- 3/4 can of diced tomatoes (300 g)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (120 g), chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices tomato (45 g), halved to garnish
- 1 large avocado (200 g), diced to garnish
- Cilantro, finely chopped to garnish
- 1/2 red chili pepper (7 g), seeds removed and finely chopped to garnish
- Chop the red onion and set aside 2 tablespoons to use as garnish.
- Cook onions in a pan with olive oil until soft and caramelized. Halfway through, add the cumin, cayenne pepper, and garlic.
- Add the onions, chicken, and oregano to the slow cooker. Pour in the chicken broth and tomatoes. Cover and cook for on high for 2.5 hours.
- Add the bell pepper and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Shred the chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- If desired, garnish with a small slice tomato, avocado, cilantro, red chili, and onions.
- Serve warm.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 444
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 21 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 48 g