Keto Roast Beef Recipe with Carrots and Onions
This week I happened upon an article about signs you aren’t getting enough protein. To be honest, most people consume more than enough, but when I thought back on what I had eaten this week I realized I was sorely lacking in the protein department.
Luckily, a serving of this keto roast beef recipe, with the addition of carrots and onions, should get me back on track.
If you’re after more beefy inspiration, try this keto rosemary roast beef!
How Much Protein Do You Need?
Well, it depends. Your age, sex, weight, and physical activity all play a part in determining your optimal intake.
And, like many health topics, it tends to up for debate. The Recommended Dietary Allowance of protein is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram (or 0.36 grams per pound) of your body weight.
That amounts to about 56 grams per day for men and 46 grams for women.
However, those numbers can be confusing, because that’s not actually meant to be a maximum amount – that’s more like the threshold you need to eat to prevent deficiencies.
It’s also assuming a sedentary individual. Active individuals, teenagers, and women who are pregnant or nursing require more protein.
Why Do You Need Protein?
We need protein because it’s the building block of life. Protein is used to create muscle, tendons and organs. Protein makes new cells, but also helps repair damaged ones.
Protein is made from chains of amino acids. Some amino acids are produced by the body – these are called nonessential amino acids.
Other amino acids, however, must come from food sources. This keto roast beef just happens to be an excellent source of protein, with 38 grams of protein per serving.
Roast beef recipes are the perfect idea for a filling evening meal and there are so many beef dishes to choose from1
- 2 lbs of beef round (900 g)
- 2 carrots (100 g), peeled and roughly chopped
- 3/4 medium onion (83 g), peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic (18 g), peeled and lightly crushed
- 4 Tablespoons of olive oil (60 ml)
- 1 large sprig of rosemary
- 1 sprig of thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Toss the carrots, onion, and garlic with olive oil, some of the rosemary and thyme, and salt. Place in the center of a baking tray.
- Rub olive oil, rest of the rosemary and thyme, and salt on the beef round and place on top of the vegetables.
- Roast for 1 hour.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 5 g
- Calories: 739
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 62 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 38 g