Keto Pumpkin Spice Mug Muffin Recipe
Every fall flavor you crave in one tasty muffin, and all in less time than it takes to get a pumpkin spice latte? It sounds too good to be true but believes it because our Keto pumpkin spice muffin delivers! This muffin is bursting with all the flavors you know and love, with warm cinnamon, spicy ginger, and fragrant vanilla, you won’t believe how much fall flavor is packed into one muffin. Plus, it’s a microwave mug muffin so you won’t even need to wait for it to bake in the oven. Whether you’re running out the door in the morning or looking for a last-minute dessert to enjoy with your coffee, this muffin is the perfect fall snack or dessert.
What’s the Story with Pumpkin Spice
These days pumpkin spice– a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and sometimes allspice—is best known as a latte from a certain coffee-brewing chain but the combination has been enjoyed in American since the 1930s and before that, the spices had been used in the Mediterranean and Middle East for thousands of years. In the 30s, recipes called “pumpkin spice” still had pumpkin in them but that changed around the 50s when companies like McCormack began manufacturing “pumpkin pie spice” which awakened a new fervor for the homey flavor. The spice blend outgrew its origins and by the 60s it was renamed to just “pumpkin spice.”
In the 90s, there was pumpkin spice candles and pumpkin spice coffee, but it wasn’t until 2004, with the introduction of the infamous pumpkin spice latte that the pumpkin spice era really began. Now, you can find pumpkin spice in just about anything from cakes to air fresheners.
Picking the Perfect Mug Cake (Or Muffin) Mug
Here are 3 things to keep in mind when picking out the mug for your fall mug muffin, or for any other mug “bake” like mug cakes or Keto bread.
- Is it microwave safe? – Safety first! If you can’t tell whether a mug is microwave safe by checking the bottom, you can fill it with water and microwave for 30 seconds. If the mug is as hot or hotter than the water, pick a different one.
- Does it have odd bumps or a narrow rim that will make getting the muffin out more difficult? – This is probably not the place for the mug your sister made in high school art class.
- Is it tall and narrow or wide and shallow? – Everyone has their own preference for shape. I like tall and narrow but my sister likes wide mugs for mug cake. Give both a try and see what works for you.
More Keto-Friendly Fall Classics
If fall were a muffin, this would be it!
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a microwaveable mug.
- Cook for 90 seconds in the microwave on high, then remove and eat straight out of the mug, or simply tip the muffin out onto a plate.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 3 g
- Calories: 456
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 44 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 11 g