Home » Keto Recipes » Ketogenic Snacks Recipes » Keto Pork Rinds Recipe
Keto Pork Rinds Recipe
Do you know what’s in your pork rinds? If you make our keto pork rinds recipe you will find out how they should be made!
For more snack inspiration, check out our No Carb Snacks suggestions.
What’s In Your Average Bag of Pork Rinds?
Pork rinds saw a huge uptick in sales as the low-carb diet craze was in its heyday. But not all rinds are created equal.
First of all, most pork rinds are fried in canola oil. It’s not a great move for your health. There are much better options out there.
Also, if you pick up a bag off the shelf, the ingredient list should frighten you. Various flours (and I’m not talking about almond), sugar, and chemicals you can’t pronounce are right there in plain sight. That’s a strong “no thank you” from where I’m sitting.
How These Keto Pork Rinds are Different
It’s the same old story – if you make your food, you make your food better. Chances are, it doesn’t need all of those modern ingredients, and your body definitely doesn’t.
Real food with real flavor tastes great and has so many healing properties. Simple can be delicious, as this keto pork rinds recipe proves.
All you really need is pork skin and spices. That’s it!
It’s not pricey or complicated; it just takes a bit of time. The skin needs to hang out for a while to dry out in the oven at a super low temperature.
Then, you’ll crank up the heat to finish them off. You can season them to your liking, but Chinese five spice works really well.
If you’re entertaining guests, these pork crackling straws would be a perfect party snack!
- 1 large piece of pork skin (approx. 2 lbs or 1 kg)
- Salt and spices of choice (suggestion – Chinese five spices)
- Preheat the oven to 250 F (120 C). If your oven doesn’t go down to this low of a temperature, set it to its lowest temperature and then open the oven door a crack.
- Use a very sharp knife to remove all the fat from the skin.
- You should be left with only the transparent skin.
- Pat both sides dry and trim into smaller pieces (approx. 1″-by-1″).
- Salt the pieces well and place on a wire rack placed over a tray. Place in the oven for 2 hours to dry out.
- Remove the tray from the oven and transfer the pieces onto a clean tray.
- Increase the temperature of the oven to max 440 F (230 C).
- Once at temperature, place the tray into the oven and cook for 5-10 minutes allowing them to pop. (Alternatively, you can pop the pork rinds by shallow frying them for 3-5 minutes in olive oil, lard, coconut oil, avocado oil.)
- Season with salt and spices of your choosing.
- Allow to cool completely before storing in a sealed container. Makes approx. 30-50 pieces.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 0 g
- Calories: 152
- Sugar: 0g
- Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 0g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 17g