Crispy, flavorful one-pan Moroccan chicken that is delicious on its own or with a few sides.
For the chicken:
4 chicken legs (thigh and drumstick) (2 lbs or 1 kg)
1/2 medium red onion (2 oz or 55 g), thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 lemon, halved
1 Tablespoon of pomegranate seeds (11 g), for garnish
1 Tablespoon of chopped fresh cilantro (1 g), for garnish
Olive oil, for drizzling
For the dry rub:
2 teaspoons of turmeric (4 g)
1 teaspoon of smoked paprika (2 g)
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (2 g) (or to taste, optional)
1 teaspoon of cumin powder (2 g)
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder (1 g)
1/2 teaspoon of salt (2 g)
1/2 teaspoon of pepper (1 g)
- Mix the ingredients for the dry rub in a small bowl. Rub over the chicken legs and place in a 9-inch x13-inch (23 cm x 33 cm) casserole. Nestle the onion and garlic around the chicken legs. Cover the casserole dish and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Uncover the chicken and squeeze the juice of half a lemon and drizzle olive oil over the chicken.
- Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the chicken legs are golden and cooked through with an internal temperature of 165 F (74 C).
- Remove the dish from the oven and squeeze the remaining lemon over the chicken. Garnish the dish with pomegranate seeds and chopped fresh cilantro before serving.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs per serving: 3 g
- Calories: 334
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 20 g
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 30 g