The perfect bite-sized dessert for the summer.
- 1 cup (120 g) of almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) of coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon (4 g) of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons (24 g) of sweetener of choice (we used stevia)
- 1 cup of diced strawberries
For the cream:
- 14oz can (414 ml) of full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 1 Tablespoon (12 g) of sweetener, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 12-cup shallow muffin pan with coconut oil. (Alternatively, use a traditional 120cup muffin pan and just fill it less.)
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sweetener until light and fluffy. Add melted coconut oil and vanilla, then beat again.
- Fold in the almond flour and baking soda until just combined.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup and spread out.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden and springing back to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing and finish cooling on a baking rack.
- Meanwhile, dice the strawberries and set aside.
- Once the cakes are cooled, begin making the coconut cream. Take the coconut milk out of the fridge, scoop out the cream on the top, and place in a bowl. You will not be using the water at the bottom of the can, so save it and add it to something else like a smoothie!
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the coconut cream for 2-3 minutes until it is fluffy and forming peaks.
- Add sweetener to the cream and beat to combine.
- Add a heaped tablespoon of whipped coconut cream to the top of 6 cakes. Follow with a spoonful of diced strawberries and then top with another cake. Add an extra bit of cream and strawberries to the top, if desired. You should end up with 6 strawberry shortcakes.
- Best served and enjoyed immediately!
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 3 g
- Serving Size: 1 shortcake
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 23 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 5 g