This keto, dairy-free mac ‘n “cheese” uses cauliflower, cashews and nutritional yeast to make a delicious cheesy sauce!
- 1 1/2 heads cauliflower (900 g), broken into small florets, divided
- 1/2 cup of cashews (2.6 oz or 73 g), soaked overnight in filtered water and drained
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast (32 g)
- 1 Tablespoon of turmeric (6 g)
- 1 teaspoon of mustard (5 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder (1 g)
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil (15 ml)
- 1/2 cup of filtered hot water (120 ml) (plus additional, if needed)
- 1 Tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley (1 g), for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the cauliflower florets from the 1/2 head of cauliflower and boil for 10 minutes until very soft. Remove the florets with a slotted spoon and place in a food processor or high-speed blender.
- Add the soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, turmeric, mustard, garlic powder, olive oil and 1/2 cup (120 ml) of filtered water to the food processor or blender and blend until smooth. If needed, add additional filtered water to the “cheese” sauce until desired consistency is achieved. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining florets from the whole head of cauliflower to the same pot of water and boil for 6 to 8 minutes until tender. Drain well and add to a large bowl.
- Add the “cheese” sauce to the drained cauliflower and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. If desired, the dish can be served at this point.
- Place the mixture in a casserole dish and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Garnish the dish with fresh parsley and serve.
Nutritional data is estimated and per serving. Net carbs per serving is 7 g.
- Calories: 128
- Sugar: 5
- Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 13
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 7