Keto Lemon Blueberry Chicken Salad Recipe [Dairy-Free, Paleo]
Salads are easy and highly nutritious keto meals.
By tossing together lots of leafy greens, meat, healthy oils, and berries, you can create a delicious keto salad in just a few minutes!
You don’t need to know how to cook to make one of these.
How to make a Keto salad:
Keto Salad Ingredients:
There are tons of different variations of keto salads. But here are some basic keto ingredients to include for a great keto salad recipe:
- Fresh leafy salad greens, e.g., arugula, spinach, kale, romaine lettuce.
- Chopped and cooked meat or fish, e.g., chicken, beef, salmon, turkey, bacon.
- Small amount of berries, e.g., strawberries, blueberries, raspberries.
- Chopped vegetables, e.g., red onions, peppers, zucchini, cherry tomatoes.
- Keto salad dressing – read more about these below.
- Small amount of nuts and seeds (optional), e.g., pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, sliced almonds, pecans, walnuts. Some nuts and seeds can have quite a bit of net carbohydrates, so try not to overeat them.
Keto Salad Dressings:
Many people skip salads on a ketogenic diet because they can’t find good keto salad dressings. Most salad dressings you buy in the store or find served in restaurants are loaded with sugars and bad seed oils (like canola or sunflower oil).
However, it’s really easy to make your own keto salad dressing.
Here are a few easy options for keto salad dressings:
- Extra virgin olive oil and fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
- Coconut cream with a dash of apple cider vinegar
- Creamy Caesar dressing – make your own healthy mayo using this recipe here or buy Paleo mayo here and then follow this recipe for the Caesar dressing.
- Creamy ranch dressing – make your own mayo and then follow this recipe for the ranch dressing.
I personally love just using a really good extra virgin olive oil with a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice. But if you’re looking for something a bit more creamy dressing, then give some of the other options for keto salad dressing a try.
- 10 blueberries or other berries
- 1/4 medium onion, sliced
- Large bag of salad leaves (approx. 125 g)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 large chicken breast (1/2 lb), diced
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) coconut oil to cook in
- Salt and pepper to taste (omit pepper for AIP)
- Sauté the diced chicken breast in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the cooked chicken with the blueberries, onion slices, salad leaves, olive oil, and lemon juice.
- Serving Size: 1 large bowl
- Calories: 490
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 42 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 27 g