Keto Italian Flaxseed Crackers Recipe
With so many delicious keto soups available, it felt like a miss to not have some awesome crackers on the side. So buckle up my keto friends, we’re about ready to head back to cracker country with my keto Italian flaxseed crackers recipe.
What is in Regular Crackers
I can’t tell you how many boxes of crackers I’ve put away in my lifetime, but I can tell you that I never put too much thought into how those salty snacks are made. Until now.
While manufacturers might want you to conjure up images of grandmotherly figures in flour-dusted aprons kneading soft dough whilst bluebirds sing overhead, the reality is a bit different.
For one thing, they’re super processed. The ingredients are pretty far removed from what most of us would consider nutritious food.
Your top ingredient, of course, is generally unbleached flour (it might vary depending on which brand you’re looking at). That’s not cool for keto, but that’s not all.
There’s also soybean oil, which is not a great option whether you’re keto or not. Then for kicks, there’s sugar and high-fructose corn syrup. The nutritional bar with most store-bought crackers is pretty low, so I sought to come up with a better snack.
How I Made Keto Crackers
This keto Italian flaxseed crackers recipe is a much better choice for a ketogenic diet. The name is kind of a spoiler because I’m sure you can guess that the not-so-secret ingredient is flaxseeds.
Flaxseeds are an excellent base for crackers, and they’re good for you to boot. You’ll have to put a little work into grinding them up into a meal, but your food processor, blender, or coffee grinder can make quick work of that.
For added flavor, I suggest using Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder. And just like that, you have a perfect companion for your next cup of soup!
If you like mixing yummy seeds and nuts, then you’ll love these crackers too.
- 1 cup (112 g) flaxseeds, ground into a meal (use a food processor, blender, or coffee grinder)
- ½ cup (120 ml) water
- 1 Tablespoon (10 g) garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons (5 g) onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon (3 g) Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
- Heat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flaxseed with spices. Add water and stir until combined. Knead for a few minutes.
- Place the dough onto a large piece of parchment paper on a flat surface. Place another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough to desired thickness (approx. 0.3 cm).
- Gently pull the top piece of parchment paper away from the dough. Use a sharp knife, or pizza cutter and score the flattened dough into cracker size pieces.
- Place the parchment paper with the scored dough onto a baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes (they should be easy to lift off the parchment paper but not crunchy).
- Carefully pull the crackers apart and flip them over.
- Reduce oven heat to 300 F (150 C).
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes until crispy but not burnt.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 4 g
- Calories: 151
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 6 g