Keto Greek Salad Wedges Recipe
Busy folks rejoice — this Keto Greek salad wedges recipe makes your low-carb diet your low-effort diet. Oh, and did I mention it’s also super cheap?
‘Low-Brow’ Lettuce Wedges
The classic wedge salad gets snubbed by many a food snob. Maybe it’s the simplicity of the dish that they find so offensive, or maybe they just can’t appreciate a good salad when it’s staring them right in the face.
Whatever the case, I think they’re missing out. I mean, if it’s good enough for Don Draper, it’s good enough for me. I miss Mad Men…
Anyway, its popularity has ebbed and flowed over the years, going from holding coveted spots on elite menus to being discarded in favor of the trendy lettuce of the time.
And perhaps the wedge’s struggling popularity is due to its usual base — iceberg lettuce.
Iceberg vs. Romaine
Now those are two names you don’t hear tossed about much these days. It’s all kale this and arugula that and, oh yes, pink lettuce.
Whoever dreamt up that one is genius. Capitalize on the people snapping their meals and sharing them on social. I’m sure they took to pink lettuce like ducks to water.
But your lunches don’t have to be picture perfect, they just have to be Keto. Both iceberg and romaine lettuce are acceptable for a low-carb diet, but I’ll explain why you might prefer romaine.
I like iceberg. It’s got a great crunch and it’s a really refreshing lettuce for summer. But, it is mostly water, so you’re not getting much if anything in the way of nutrients.
Romaine does a little better in the nutrition department. Romaine’s got more fiber, more folate, and more vitamin A and K. In fact, you can get a day’s supply of vitamin K with a serving of romaine!
That’ll help your wounds to heal (it aids in blood clotting) and assists with bone health.
So while romaine wins the battle, iceberg is still an option for Keto if you really prefer it. They’re both uber low-carb foods that won’t derail your diet.
More Keto Salads
Looking for more ways to enjoy your greens? Check out this page full of delicious Keto salads!
You’ll find lots of creative options to ensure you never get tired of salad. Try the pepperoni tomato salad, the five-minute curried tuna salad, or the chicken shawarma salad!
There are lots of options to make your lunch or dinner salad a little more special.
Two classic salads combined for perfection.
- 1 head Romaine lettuce (200 g)
- 8–10 cherry tomatoes (170 g), halved
- 1/2 cucumber (110 g), diced
- 15 black olives (45 g), pitted and sliced
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) of olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons (23 ml) of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (3 g) of garlic puree
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) of dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Halve the head of lettuce lengthways and wash well. Drain and lay out on a serving platter, cut-side up. Scatter over the tomatoes, cucumber and black olives.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic puree, and dried oregano. Season the dressing with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle generously over the lettuce wedges.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 3 g
- Calories: 34
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 1 g