This is a rich Keto gravy and our favorite to showcase!
- Large tray of raw beef bones (approx. 3-4 lbs)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) of olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 stick celery, cut into small chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 7 oz mushrooms (200g), roughly chopped
- 3 liters (0.8 gallons) cold water
- 3–4 thyme sprigs
- 1–2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 large egg yolks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 430 F (220 C).
- Spread the bones out on a large roasting tray and place in the oven for 45 minutes, turning the bones after 30 min. They should be dark golden brown.
- At the same time, add the olive oil to a large frying pan and sauté the chopped onion, celery, garlic, and mushrooms until caramelized.
- Add the caramelized vegetables and roasted bones to a large stockpot. Scrape the roasting tray and the rendered fat from the bones and add to the pot.
- Fill the pot with the 3 liters of cold water and bring to the boil, skimming off and discarding any foamy impurities that gather on the surface.
- Place a lid on the pot and reduce to a low simmer. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove all the bones and vegetables by pouring the stock through a strainer. Reduce the liquid stock further over moderate-high heat until the stock reduces to approx. 16 fl oz (480 ml) – this can take a while, so keep the lid off and check on it regularly. Near the end, add in the rosemary and thyme for 10 minutes.
- Add the 2 egg yolks to a large bowl and whisk well. Slowly add 1 Tablespoon of the stock at a time into the egg yolk mixture. Keep whisking. After you’ve got about a cup of egg mixture, tip the mixture back into the rest of the stock. Whisk well and continue to whisk over a low heat until the sauce has thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 1 g
- Serving Size: 1 serving = 3-4 Tablespoons
- Calories: 123
- Sugar: 0 g
- Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 2 g