Delicious fish tacos with the fresh, zingy flavor of lime mayo.
For the soft tacos
- 1 cup (112 g) of coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons (32 g) of psyllium husk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) of baking soda
- Salt, to taste
- 1 medium egg
- 2/3 cup (135 g) of lukewarm water
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil
- 4 teaspoons (20 ml) of olive oil, divided, additional for cooking
For the fish
- 14 oz (400 g) of white fish fillets, skin removed and deboned
- 2 Tablespoons (14 g) of coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) of olive oil, divided
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 4 Tablespoons (60 ml) of Keto Mayonnaise
- 4 reserved soft tacos
- Soft lettuce leaves
- Reserved cooked fish
- 1/4 medium red onion (28 g), thinly sliced
- Small handful of chopped fresh cilantro
- To make the soft taco shells, combine the coconut flour, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, and salt, to taste, in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk to combine the egg, lukewarm water and 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil. Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and use a wooden spoon to combine well.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal-sized portions. Roll each one into a ball and flatten between two sheets of baking parchment paper – to the approximate size of a small plate. If desired, trim the outer edges to neaten it up and remove the top layer of parchment.
- Heat 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of olive oil in a nonstick frying pan and gently place the dough into the pan. Cook for several minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time. Set aside and repeat the process until you have 4 soft taco shells.
- To make the fish, cut the fish into smaller pieces and scatter over the coconut flour on all sides. Season with salt. Heat 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) of olive oil in a clean pan and fry the fish pieces (preferably in batches to avoid crowding the pan) until golden and cooked through. Drain on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Make a mayonnaise by finely grating the zest of one lime into the Keto Mayonnaise. Combine well and spread 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of the Keto Mayonnaise over each taco shell.
- To assemble the tacos, hold each taco shell in your hand and fill with the soft lettuce leaves and fried fish. Top the tacos with the sliced red onions and chopped fresh cilantro. Squeeze over a little lime juice, if desired.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 4 g
- Serving Size: 1 taco
- Calories: 460
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 34 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 25 g