Enjoy this tasty fish broth on its own or as a base for your seafood dishes.
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil
- 1 medium onion (110 g), peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks of celery (40 g), chopped
- 1 leek (90 g), chopped
- 10 white button mushrooms (100 g), sliced
- 35oz (approx. 1 kg or 2 lbs) of fish bones and fish off-cuts
- 4 cups (960 ml) of cold water
- salt and ground white pepper
- chives, to garnish
- In a large pan or stock pot add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions, celery, leek, and mushrooms. Cook over moderate heat, making sure to not burn or caramelize the vegetables.
- Once the onions have softened, add the fish bones and cold water. Bring mixture to a simmer and partially cover with a lid. Cook over low-moderate heat for 1 hour.
- Strain the broth with cheesecloth or fine-mesh sieve, then season with salt and ground white pepper.
- If enjoying on its own, serve warm garnished with chives.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 6 g
- Calories: 61
- Sugar: 3 g
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g