Enjoy this classic Italian dish without the carbs.
- 1 lb (450 g) ground pork (or other meat)
- 1 lb (450 g) ground beef (or other meat)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 28-ounce (794 g) can diced tomatoes
- 2 6-ounce (170 g) cans of tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons (5 g) fresh basil, diced
- 6 Tablespoons (23 g) fresh parsley, diced
- 1 Tablespoon (3 g) fresh oregano, diced
- 1 Tablespoon (3 g) fresh thyme, diced
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) fennel seeds
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 4 Tablespoons (60 ml) coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into thin slices
- 3 Tablespoons (45 g) salt for boiling eggplants
- Place 4 Tablespoons of coconut oil into a large stock pot. Add in the ground meat and the onion. Cook until the meat browns and the onion turns translucent.
- Then add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, fresh herbs, fennel seeds, and minced garlic.
- Cook on a low simmer with the lid on for 45 minutes. Stir regularly to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C) and boil a pot of water. Add the 3 Tablespoons of salt into the boiling water, then add in the eggplant slices. Boil for 2-3 minutes and then remove and place in cold water (if your slices are thicker, then you might need to boil for longer – the eggplant should soften so that you can cut it with a fork fairly easily).
- Add the whisked eggs into the meat mixture and stir slowly to mix the eggs in. Cook the meat mixture for 10 minutes more and then add salt to taste. Cook until the meat mixture doesn’t have much water in it anymore.
- Pour half the meat mixture into the bottom of a 13 by 9 inch lasagna pan or a similar baking pan. Pat the eggplant slices dry on a towel and top the mixture with the slices.
- Then pour the other half of the egg/meat mixture on top of the eggplant slices, and top that egg/meat layer with the rest of the eggplant slices.
- Cover the tray with aluminum foil and bake for 45-50 minutes.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 8 g.
- Serving Size: 1 large slice
- Calories: 254
- Sugar: 7 g
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 18 g