Enjoy all of the flavor of your favorite holiday side dish but without all of the carbs when you make this keto and dairy-free version of scalloped potatoes.
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) coconut oil
- 2 lbs (900 g) turnips and/or rutabagas/swedes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium white onion (2 oz or 55 g) thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup (240 ml) unsweetened coconut cream
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) vegetable broth
- 4 Tablespoons (32 g) nutritional yeast
- 1 Tablespoon (6 g) fresh thyme (about 6 sprigs)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Melt the coconut oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced turnips and/or rutabagas, onion and garlic to the skillet and cook until the vegetables start to soften, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast and fresh thyme to the skillet and gently mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. (If not using a cast iron skillet, pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish.)
- Place the cast iron skillet (or casserole dish) in the oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until the vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 7 g
- Calories: 109
- Sugar: 6 g
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 3 g