Delicious pork shanks slow-cooked to perfection.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large pan and brown the shanks until the skin has browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add the second tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan and add the onions and garlic, cooking over moderately high heat until the onions have caramelized. Deglaze the pan with the lemon juice, scraping off any pieces that have stuck.
- Transfer the shanks to a crockpot and pour in the cooked onion mixture. Add the warm chicken broth and bay leaves.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 4.5 hours.
- Remove the shanks from the crockpot and place onto a roasting tray. Preheat the oven to maximum.
- Once the oven is heated, place the tray onto the bottom rack and cook until the skin crisps and puffs up. Remove and allow to rest before serving.
- In the meantime, make a gravy. Tip all the cooking juices and onions from the crockpot into a large pan on the stovetop. Remove the bay leaves. Add the mustard and use a hand blender to blitz well. Reduce over moderate heat until thickened, then whisk in the ghee.
- Serve the shanks with the gravy and your favorite greens.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 6 g
- Serving Size: 1/2 shank
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 3 g
- Fat: 30 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 13 g