Keto Cod Recipe with Black Pepper and Lemon
If you are lucky enough to live near the ocean like I do, fish is abundant and common on dinner tables all over town. White fish is an ideal protein for a weeknight because it cooks quickly and the delicate flavor shines in simple preparations that allow the natural flavor of the fish to shine through. Take this Keto cod with black pepper and lemon for example. The recipe has only 6 ingredients, counting salt and pepper. Yet, the flavor pay-off of those six ingredients is high. The mild flavor of the fish heightens the impact of the simple lemon and pepper topping. It may take under 30 minutes to make, but with the right plating, this dish could easily impress at a dinner party or a romantic dinner for two.
Picking the Perfect Piece of Cod
Buying fish can be overwhelming, particularly if you don’t do it often. Luckily with a few simple guidelines, you can be sure you’re getting the best cut of fish every time.
- Know what you’re looking for – Even something as simple as cod can refer to a number of different fish that have a similar flavor a texture. Knowing what you want to cook will help you know what fish to choose and what substitution you can make. Halibut and cod can easily be substituted for each other, but tuna is completely different.
- Shop with your eyes (and nose) – Fresh fish is firm and evenly colored. It does not have a strong fishy smell, but it does often smell like the ocean. It is better to buy frozen fish than to buy fresh fish that does not look good. Use your judgement and don’t be afraid to ask questions about when the fish was delivered.
- Read the label – Particularly if you don’t live near the water and you can’t find fresh fish. Look for fish labelled FAS or Frozen at Sea for the best quality and freshness.
More Simple Seasonings to Try on Your Fish
Fish, and white fish in particular, is a perfect blank canvas to try out different spices and herbs. Because most fish are so mild in flavor, a little bit of seasoning goes a long way. Read on for a list of herbs and spices that pair well with fish. Maybe something will spark your imagination!
- Bay leaf
- Garlic and ginger
Our Favorite Low-Carb Fish Recipes
If you like this cod dish, why not check out some more Keto-friendly fish recipes. From fish fingers to curry, we have something for everyone. Check out the list below for some highlights.
Our baked cod with black peppercorns and sliced lemons gives a zingy flavor you’ll love.
- 2 filets (340 g) of cod, skinless and deboned
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of ghee
- black pepper
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- parsley, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 355°F (180°C).
- Pat the cod fillets down with paper towel. Place on a small roasting tray and break up the ghee over the fillets. Cover with a very generous crack of black pepper.
- Lay the lemon slices on top of the fish. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove and season with salt. Garnish with chopped parsley.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 1 g
- Calories: 181
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 30 g