Keto Coconut Macaroons with Chocolate Drizzle Recipe
Low carb diet or not, sometimes you need a little something sweet! This Keto coconut macaroons recipe with chocolate drizzle is perfect for those times. With a chewy coconut center and a tempting dark chocolate drizzle, these cookies are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth without added carbs. Plus they’re dairy and gluten-free to boot!
The History of the Macaroon
People have been making varieties of macaroon cookies since the Renaissance! The original macaroons were made with ground almonds and were more like marzipan than the coconut cookies we know today. Macaroons as we know them have their roots in Italy. In fact, the word ‘macaroon’ has the same root as the word macaroni!
In France, this cookie gave rise to the macaron, found in every patisserie in Paris but in Italy things took a different turn. There, macaroons gained popularity among Jewish communities because they could be enjoyed during Passover. They added coconut to the original recipe and eventually, the coconut replaced the almonds altogether! Coconut macaroons quickly spread all across Europe and thus the cookie as we know it was born.
A Keto Cookie Platter
These coconut macaroons are delicious on their own but there are so many more Keto cookies out there. Why not use this recipe as a starting point for the perfect low carb sugar-free cookie tray? When assembling a cookie platter, the trick is variety. Always try to have many different flavors and types of cookies. That way there’s something for everyone!
Here are some examples of what to put on a cookie tray:
The hardest part about making a cookie platter is not eating too many cookies!
Tips for Making the Perfect Macaroon
- Dampening your hands before forming the cookies will keep the dough mixture from sticking to your hands as you shape them.
- Toasting the coconut beforehand will add a caramelized note to your cookies, simply spread coconut flakes evenly on a baking sheet and bake at 325°F for 5-10 minutes. Watch coconut carefully because it only takes a few seconds to go from toasted to burnt!
- With a little creativity, endless variations of macaroons are in reach! Try sprinkling some chopped almonds on before baking or skip the drizzle and fold some chopped dark chocolate in with the shredded coconut.
These tasty coconut cookies are perfect for snacking or sharing.
For the Keto macaroons:
For the drizzle:
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites, erythritol, stevia, vanilla extract, and salt until well combined.
- Add in the shredded coconut to the bowl and mix into the egg mixture.
- Shape into balls and place on parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until slightly golden on top.
- Let cool.
- Melt the dark chocolate with the coconut oil. Drizzle on top of the macaroons. Store in fridge to let the chocolate set.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 1 g
- Calories: 93
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g