Keto Chocolate Hazelnut Bars
Chocolate and hazelnuts are a match made in heaven and just because you’re avoiding sugar and carbs, doesn’t mean you can’t get in on the action. These Keto chocolate hazelnut bars are the perfect marriage of toasty cookie base and rich chocolate hazelnut topping. Plus, they introduce flaky coconut and a creamy coconut sauce, the perfect complement to these classic flavors. Make sure you have someone to share with, because these bars are so good you won’t want to stop after just one.
A History of Chocolate and Hazelnuts
These days, chocolate and hazelnuts bring to mind the ubiquitous (and sugar-filled) spread, Nutella but the pairing is far older than that. This fabulous flavor marriage began in Turin, a city in northern Italy, in the early 1800s.
This was at a time when cocoa was both expensive and difficult to import so chocolate was hard to get. Turin was in an area where hazelnuts grew in abundance and someone had the idea to swap out some of the cocoa for hazelnuts to make chocolate more affordable to prepare and purchase. The result was called gianduia, and it was eventually turned into a candy, which was the second chocolate candy to ever be invented, predating milk chocolate by more the 20 years.
From there, the pairing of chocolate and hazelnuts only became more popular. What had begun as a cost saving measure turned into one of the most popular flavor combinations!
Variations on a Theme
Chocolate and hazelnuts need no improvement but there is always a twist to be added to any recipe. Just remember when you’re personalizing to be mindful of the nutritional values.
- There is a lovely toasted flavor in the cookie base of these bars, if that’s a flavor you love, highlight it by toasting the hazelnuts and coconut for the topping.
- Warm spices go nicely with nuts and chocolate, spice up your bars by adding 2 tsps cinnamon, 1 tsp orange zest and ¼ tsp each ginger and cloves.
- Coffee is another flavor that pairs well with both chocolate and hazelnuts, try replacing the vanilla extract with a natural coffee extract.
Keto Bake Sale Heroes
These low-carb chocolate hazelnut bars are perfect for a bake sale or a potluck because they are delicious and can easily be made in advance. Here are some other Keto deserts perfect for a bake sale or a potluck.
Or check out more Keto dessert recipes!
A flavor-filled toasty bar cookie that adds a coconutty twist to a classic pairing.
For the base –
For the sauce –
For the toppings:
- Preheat oven to 300 F (150 C).
- Combine all the base ingredients in a bowl to form a dough. Roll into a 1/4-inch thin layer and then place into a parchment paper lined square 9 by 9-inch baking tray. Press into the base of the tray to form the base layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes until it starts to brown a bit. Let cool.
- Make the sauce by mixing all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Then pour 1/2 of the sauce over the base in the square baking tray. Spread carefully across the base covering it in a thin layer.
- Sprinkle toppings on top and gently press down. Then pour the rest of the sauce over the top.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Cut into 12 small bars.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 3 g
- Calories: 351
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 31 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 7 g