Keto Eggplant Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Mexican food has sure exploded in popularity over the last ten years or so. Sure, I know that there have been some significant Mexican fast food chains for a long time. However, the excitement over tacos seems to have come into full force lately.
Well, as great as tacos are, I have always been a fan of another Mexican dish myself. They may not be as accessible as tacos, but they sure taste magnificent. That is why I needed to make this Keto eggplant chicken enchilada recipe. I couldn’t be happier with the end product, it is the perfect Keto-friendly Mexican dish.
What Goes in an Enchilada?
When coming up with an enchilada recipe I was surprised to discover that the filling can be almost anything… within reason. Most often a protein is involved, cheese, and maybe a few vegetables. However, it turns out that you can use all of these, or just one, or sometimes none of them.
The enchilada stuffing can be anything you like. Feel free to replace the protein with something else. Or, you can add some spice like chili or some fresh jalapeno. The great part is, the eggplant wrappers will work great with just about anything you decide to put inside.
How Do You Wrap an Eggplant?
Eggplant may sound like a strange alternative to the traditional flour tortilla. However, it works for more than just one reason. For one, it is always a side-effect that when you replace a carb with a vegetable or Keto-friendly ingredient, it also means that you are usually adding flavor.
The underappreciated vegetable that is eggplant is also extremely useful for multiple purposes. In this situation, when the eggplant is sliced thinly lengthwise it is malleable enough to roll up. The trick is to slice it thin enough, and with eggplant, it is important to salt it generously.
Add Some Extra Flavors
As I mentioned, enchiladas are much more versatile than you thought. This recipe is great, but there is always room to add ingredients that can take it to another level. Try these Keto-friendly ingredients in your next batch:
These delicious low carb enchiladas will make you forget about tortillas.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Slice the eggplant into long thin slices. Salt well and press paper towels on top to soak up excess water.
- Mix the coconut cream with the tomato sauce.
- In a frying pan, add coconut oil and fry the chicken, onions, bell peppers, garlic, cumin powder, chili powder, and dried oregano. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour in 1/2 of the coconut cream tomato sauce.
- Spoon the chicken mixture on top of the eggplant slices and roll up the slices.
- Lay the rolls flat on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes.
- Heat the other 1/2 of the coconut cream tomato sauce and serve with the enchiladas.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 10 g.
- Calories: 494
- Sugar: 7 g
- Fat: 36 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 26 g