Keto Cashew Cheese Baked Avocados with Lemon Zest [Vegetarian]
This keto cashew cheese baked avocados with lemon zest recipe is a great option for entertaining. I’ve even got advice for keeping your avocados green.
How to Keep Your Avocados From Browning
Don’t you hate how your avocados quickly become brown and unsightly after you slice into them?
Avocados contain an enzyme called polyphenol oxidase, which reacts with oxygen and produces a brownish pigment. Apples and potatoes have the same compound.
Oxygen is the key factor, so mitigating its impact will keep your fruit fresher.
Lemon juice is a useful ally in the fight against browning. The ascorbic acid beats the polyphenol oxidase to the punch, but once the ascorbic acid is used up the fruit will still brown.
That’s where the pH level comes in. In addition to ascorbic acid, lemon juice also has a low pH. Polyphenol oxidase thrives with a pH between 5.0 and 7.0.
Lemon juice has a pH level of around 2.0., which shuts down the polyphenol oxidase in the avocado to stop browning.
Other juices, like lime and cranberry, also have a low pH, but you have to keep in mind the flavor factor. I think lemon juice is the best companion to avocado to prevent browning.
You can also cover your avocado with plastic wrap, although lemon juice is really your ticket for this recipe.
The main difference between this recipe and other baked avocados with cheese is that this version is dairy free.
The cashew cheese you’ll use for this recipe is delicious and easy to make, however, you will need to soak the cashews overnight.
The resulting “cheese” gives you a similar texture to cheese without dairy, which doesn’t agree with a lot of people.
More Avocado Recipes
Avocados are a versatile tool for keto dieters, and really everyone who enjoys them. Their mild taste and smooth texture lend itself well to baking, and their healthy fats lend a boost to your keto diet.
If you enjoy baking, take a look at these 26 avocado recipes for ketogenic baking. You’ll find everything from brownies to bread to cookies.
Avocados are just as delightful in savory dishes. Their versatility makes them shine from morning until night, from breakfast until your late-night snack.
I’ve compiled 33 awesome keto avocado recipes here for your enjoyment. Make avocado deviled eggs, avocado stuffed meatballs, salads, fish, and more!
The perfect creamy keto snack
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 cup cashew cheese
- 1/4 cup spinach, chopped
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Half the avocados and remove the stones.
- Rub the lemon juice on the avocado halves so that they don’t brown.
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan and fry the spinach, onion, and garlic for a few minutes until slightly browned.
- Food process or blend the cashew cheese with the fried mixture until it forms a paste. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stuff the mixture into the 4 avocado halves.
- Place the avocados onto a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes until slightly browned on top. Sprinkle with zest on top.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 5 g
- Calories: 295
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 28 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 3 g