Keto Cabbage Soup [Dairy-Free, Vegan]
This recipe always reminds me of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl. In the story, the poor family which Charlie is from lives off nothing but cabbage soup. The difference between Charlie’s soup and this one is in the story the soup is made of nothing but boiled cabbage and is hardly enough to feed the family of seven.
Well, you don’t have to be broke to eat cabbage soup, and cabbage soup doesn’t have to be bland and flavorless. In fact, I bet you will be surprised just how much you enjoy this dairy-free, vegan, Keto cabbage soup recipe.
Options for Vegans and Carnivores
We always feel bad that there are so many limiting options for vegans and vegetarians in the Keto diet. There is no reason why you can’t live both lifestyles. The unfortunate thing is, proteins generally work well with the Keto diet. Though we do try our best to make as many vegan options as possible.
On the other hand, if you’re not a vegan, and this recipe seems like it needs a little more protein, we have options for you too. The idea for this recipe came from a cabbage roll soup I saw, which included ground beef, rice, and tomatoes. So, a bit of beef, bacon or even ground turkey can be added in without altering the recipe much further.
The Many Health Benefits of Cabbage
Cabbage kind of gets a bad reputation. It is often considered a boring vegetable, and if someone smells bad, they may say they “smell of cabbage.” The truth is cabbage is another magical ingredient that the Earth has provided for us.
Cabbage is packed full of essential nutrients like vitamin C and vitamin K. It is believed to help with inflammation, high blood pressure, and could even help lower cholesterol. Besides all of that, people have been using cabbage to improve digestion for generations. All that from an ingredient that is super easy to add to your regular diet.
Throw in Some Other Healthy Ingredients
Soups are all about adding a little of this and a little of that. And, no soup is safe from a chef with a creative mind. Here are some ideas of Keto friendly ingredients that would work great in this recipe:
- Green beans
- Tomato paste
A healthy soup that is packed full of vegetables and flavor.
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) coconut oil, to cook with
- 1 small cabbage (green or purple), chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 6 cups (1.5 l) bone broth (or vegetable broth if vegan or vegetarian)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add coconut oil to a large pot and heat up the pot. Saute the cabbage, carrot, celery, and onion in the coconut oil until the vegetables are slightly browned.
- Add the diced tomatoes and bone broth into the pot and bring to a boil. Then simmer for 30 minutes until the cabbage is tender.
- Add in the garlic and parsley and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook for 5 more minutes and serve.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 6 g.
- Serving Size: 1 small bowl
- Calories: 122
- Sugar: 5 g
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 2 g