Keto Burgundy Beef Stew Recipe
We have all had some fantastic stews. Often I am surprised that you don’t see as many stew cooking competitions as you do with chili cookouts. But, when I visited a small little café near my hometown, I was blown away with one of the best stews that I have had in my life.
I just had to steal her recipe, which she gave to me quite excitedly. A few minor alterations to make it Keto friendly and I have finally mastered this wonderful dish. You are going to love this Keto Burgundy beef stew recipe.
Stew: The Original Cooking Method
Whenever I think of stew, it is kind of like a trip through time. I think back to the days when there were no cars, trains, or automobiles, and people had to travel long distances by horse or foot. They would have to start a fire each night to stay warm, and of course, eat their meals.
And, what better way to cook for your traveling companions than a rich, flavorful stew. It is a classic image of horseback travelers stirring their big pots of stew over the fire. And, why wouldn’t stews continue to be popular today? You can add all of your ingredients in one pot and end up with an amazing dish that will feed everyone.
Hey, Where’s the Burgundy?
I was confused by the fact that this Burgundy beef stew recipe had no burgundy in it too. Well, it turns out that the name has nothing to do with the alcoholic beverage that we all know, and more to do with the region in France that the recipe originates.
It is kind of a trick that the magical ingredient that makes this stew so tasty is not the burgundy like you would expect from the title. Actually, what makes a Burgundy stew so flavorful, that wonderful ingredient that changes the stew game is bacon.
Feel Free To Play Around With the Ingredients
As I mentioned, a stew is all about utilizing whatever you have on you, whether you are traveling across the country by horse and wagon, or at home in your kitchen. Of course, the key ingredients here are the proteins and the stock, but from there you can make some alterations with Keto friendly ingredients such as these:
- Dried herbs
- Fresh garlic
- Keto friendly hot sauce
- Tomato paste
A rich stew that is sure to please anyone who takes a bowl.
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) avocado oil
- 2 lbs (900 g) beef stew chunks, chopped into small pieces
- 2 slices of bacon, diced
- 4 cups (960 ml) bone broth
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 4 oz (112 g) green beans, diced (approx. 20 green beans)
- 1/4 medium onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons (12 g) cumin powder
- 1 Tablespoon (6 g) turmeric
- 1 Tablespoon (10 g) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) ginger powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add avocado oil to a large pot on high heat and brown the beef stew chunks in the oil.
- Then add in the rest of the ingredients (except for the bacon) to a large pot. Cover and simmer on medium heat for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the beef is fork-tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook the bacon until crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes, and add to the stew.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 2 g.
- Serving Size: 1 large bowl
- Calories: 507
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 41 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 27 g