Keto Avocado Salad Recipe
Fresh and fast, this Keto avocado salad recipe marries texture, taste, and top-shelf ingredients for your low-carb lifestyle.
The Texture of Salad
There is an endless array of salads out there, so you can customize your ingredients to suit your tastes at any time.
From crisp, crunchy iceberg lettuce to softer baby spinach greens to egg salad to “potato” salad, there is a lot of flexibility around what constitutes a salad.
And that’s a great thing.
I like to think of this salad as a fresh summer salad. While you can make it any time of year, in summer you’re more likely to get your hands on fresh lettuce and tomatoes.
If you grow it yourself, even better!
Salad can work really well when you play with the texture. This salad pairs extra crunchy lettuce, iceberg, with the creamy avocado. That contrast is really nice and adds a lot of life and variety to your plate.
It also features a simple, yet perfect dressing made with wholegrain mustard, olive oil, and white wine vinegar.
There’s also lovely color to this dish, with the bright red, vibrant tomato bouncing off the softer green of the avocado and almost translucent iceberg. In addition to its relatively mild flavor, red onions also add to the visual appeal.
Pick Your Avocados Wisely
If your lead actor has a lot of time on the stage, you need to audition him carefully. So too with the avocado in this salad. Knowing when you plan to make it will be helpful as you shop.
If you know you’re about five days off, look for avocados that are bright green and firm. They’ll have time to ripen before salad day.
If you’re a little closer, choose avocados that are slightly less firm, but not yielding to pressure. They’ll be ready in a day or two.
If you need avocados, like now, pick produce that is slightly soft without being mushy. They’re ready for you!
Once you’ve cut open your avocado, don’t forget to squeeze lemon juice on it. The acidity will help prevent it from turning brown.
Even More Keto Salads
Eating salad on Keto is almost a no-brainer. But it can get boring if you don’t change it up regularly.
If you need some more options for your salad lineup, check out this page that’s bursting with delicious Keto salads!
You’re sure to find a lot to love.
A delicious salad celebrating Keto’s best-loved ingredient: the avocado.
- 1/4 red onion (28 g), thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of red wine vinegar
- 1 large avocado (200 g), peeled and halved
- squeeze of lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small-medium tomato (90 g), sliced
- 2 cups (225 g) of iceberg lettuce, sliced
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of wholegrain mustard
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 ml) of white wine vinegar
- snipped chives, to garnish
- Combine the red onions and red wine vinegar in a small bowl and leave to pickle while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Squeeze lemon juice over both halves of the avocado and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the avocado halves onto two plates. Divide the sliced tomatoes and lettuce between the two plates.
- In a small bowl, mix the wholegrain mustard, olive oil, and white wine vinegar. Drizzle the dressing over the plates. Divide the pickled red onions between the two plates and garnish with chives.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 4 g
- Calories: 126
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 1 g