Keto Asian Rolled Cucumber Salad Recipe
This Keto Asian rolled cucumber salad is almost too pretty to eat but once you dig in, you’ll be going back for seconds in no time. The umami-rich sauce with spicy garlic is the perfect complement to crisp fresh cucumber and toasty sesame oil rounds out the bite. If you’re getting tired of lettuce or just want to try something new, this bright cucumber dish makes a great addition to your salad repertoire.
Keto Soy Sauce Substitutes
Did you know that most soy sauce contains wheat? It’s true, soy sauce is traditionally made from soybeans, wheat, water, and salt! For a low-inflammatory option, you can try gluten-free tamari. Tamari is a Japanese variety of soy sauce that generally does not contain wheat. It is thicker and less salty than traditional soy sauce.
If you are avoiding soy altogether, coconut aminos is a great soy sauce substitute. Coconut aminos is made from fermented coconut blossom nectar. It is thicker than traditional soy sauce and has a lovely balanced sweet and salty flavor with almost 75% less sodium than its traditional soy counterpart .
Mix Up Your Salad
The hallmark of a good recipe is endless variations to suit every mood. This cucumber salad can be mixed up and personalized, just remember that additions and substitutions may change the nutritional content of the recipe.
- For added texture, replace the sesame oil with a teaspoon of toasted sesame seeds or toasted chopped cashews sprinkled over the top.
- To add a south of the border twist, replace the green onion with seeded diced jalapeno and instead of sesame oil, add a squeeze or two of lime.
- Add different spicy note by replacing the hot sauce with spicy mustard and adding ¼ teaspoon of ginger.
- Turn your fancy salad into an easy weekday lunch, instead of wide strands of cucumber, make skinny strands with the potato peeler and serve them noodle-style tossed with the dressing.
More Lettuce-Free Salads
Want to try more Keto salads without lettuce to switch up your salad routine? Check these out!
Keto Mexican Lime and Chili Cucumber Salad – This Mexican cucumber salad only takes two minutes to put together, but it packs a big flavor punch. The lime and cumber add freshness while the chili adds a kick and the cashews add crunch.
Creamy Keto Cucumber Salad – Move aside potato salad, this creamy cucumber salad is the perfect BBQ side dish without all the carbs. Plus, it only takes five minutes to make and it can be made in advance.
Easy Keto Egg Salad – Speaking of BBQ side dishes, egg salad is the original lettuce-free salad. This Keto egg salad calls for soft boiled eggs which gives the final product and even creamier texture and great egg flavor.
A light and fresh salad that doesn’t skimp on umami.
- Use a potato peeler to make long wide strands from the cucumbers.
- Roll each slice up and place standing up on a plate.
- In a small bowl, mix together the tamari sauce, sesame oil, hot sauce, minced garlic, and diced green onions.
- Pour the sauce over the rolled up cucumbers and serve.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs: 2g
- Calories: 36
- Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g