Keto Apple Cinnamon Muffins Recipe (Dairy-Free)
Muffins have a special nostalgia for me. There was one winter where every Saturday my Mom would go and pick up the most amazing apple cinnamon muffins that were so huge I couldn’t finish them.
Needless to say, creating a keto apple cinnamon muffin recipe was high on my priority list coming into winter.
Making Keto-Friendly Muffins
If you’re just starting out on a keto diet, these muffins probably seem like some sort of utopia in a bowl. When you think about it, muffins are basically made of everything you’re trying to avoid on a keto diet.
Fortunately, there are some sweet swaps you can make to create the muffins of your dreams without the ingredients of your nightmares.
First, grab some almond flour to use instead of all-purpose. Almond flour does the job without the carbs, and adds protein to boot.
Applesauce and a bit of stevia can be used in place of sugar. You really don’t need much stevia to do the job – it’s much more potent than sugar so a little goes a long way.
Baking with Almond Flour
Almond flour is a step above regular flour nutritionally, but there are some tweaks you can make to your baking approach when using it.
- Almond flour baked goods can be quick to burn, but you can use a foil tent to keep them from browning too fast.
- Since almond flour lacks gluten, use eggs as a binding agent to hold everything together.
- One of the benefits of almond flour is that it adds moisture to your baked goods. Just make sure to store your treats carefully and watch for mold.
It may take some trial and error, but almond flour can be your greatest ally in re-creating your feel-good baked goods.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Mix together all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour into muffin pans (use silicone muffin pans or grease the metal pans). Makes 12 muffins.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when you insert it into a muffin.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 241
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 22 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 7 g